Tuesday, April 29, 2014

INDIA: FINAL WORDS




            It isn’t the most opulent, the most tourist-friendly or the most comfortable country we’ve visited. And it certainly isn’t always the most pleasant on the olfactory system. But India has more culture, sincerity, tradition and frankly pizzazz than the others. New Delhi (with a detour to Agra) was thus one of our favorite stops in the two years we’ve done this.  Casey and I were so mesmerized by the people and places of this country that we took very few photographs (with the exception of photos of the Taj Mahal, contained in a separate blog entry). Instead, we experienced the country firsthand. We devoured the people and their quirks and mannerisms. India really charmed us.




Casey gets his umpteenth tattoo in Delhi. He’s now had almost
as many skin procedures as Joan Rivers.


            In my youth, I remember three depictions of India: (a) “Rikki-Tikki-Tavi,” the children’s book about the heroic mongoose that becomes the family pet to protect the humans from two cobras that live in their garden, (b) “Jonny Quest,” the 1960s animated series which includes the character, Hadji Singh, the Indian boy who is the adopted brother of the title character and is always seen wearing a ruby-encrusted turban and Nehru jackets  (and sometimes charming a cobra), and in my adult life (c) “Gandhi,” the movie about the great champion of India’s independence that first exposed me to the sari. So, my perceptions of India centered on snakes, jewels and colorful garments. While these simplistic stereotypes do not come close to capturing the spirit of India, they are all still present. While men dress in the comparatively drab attire of the West, Indian women still wear the wrap around, brightly colored, sequined or brocade cloth. And the love of big, bold-colored gems is ever-present throughout the countless shopping areas. India seems infatuated with pretty things.

            Those who know me well, know that I love snakes. I don’t know why, but I have loved them since I was a child. They don’t scare me. Even the poisonous ones really don’t bother me (though I suspect I might feel differently if I were paralyzed from a venomous bite). While snake-charming is officially outlawed in India, it still goes on, somewhat covertly. In out of the way areas, for a small tip, a man will play his fife as the snake exits a basket. Heck, this guy even allowed me to pet and play with his small and large cobras.



Erik is pleased to know that he can still charm someone,
even if it is a snake.


            One of our travel mates, April loves the women’s clothing. Basically, the outfits consist of large pieces of cloth, in bright, pastel colors, sewn and wrapped around to fit the women, with numerous sequins or other inlaid items. While I love April, I am not so impressed with the garments. To paraphrase Ellen DeGeneres in a different context, frankly, I think the sarong and sari are so wrong and sorry. Indeed, the only people I can think of in the United States who could get away with such gaudy gowns are drag queens. And only the queens from small, southern towns. (The ones not quite ready for Atlanta.) Granted, whether America likes a particular fashion or trend is hardly indicative of whether it is desirable. But I think the good ole U.S. of A. got it right on this one. April may be jaded because she spent several years in Pensacola. A drive along the beach there reveals houses painted in colors not otherwise seen outside of a child’s Crayola box.

            But I can ignore the over-the-top outfits (with one eye closed) and love the other wonderful parts of India. It has a rich tradition that is still pervasive throughout its people, places and things. India has become Westernized in many ways, just as every other civilized part of the world has succumbed to both the good and bad of the West. (The latter is reflected by the irritating presence of McDonald’s, Burger King and KFC in even the most beautiful sections of communities. It chaps my hide that many people from other countries think these places reflect America’s appetite – that we are all a bunch of fast food aficionados who couldn’t distinguish a good meal from a spread at Golden Corral. But I digress.)

            India’s Western influences are understandable because they began long before any surge in American visitors. India was a longstanding British colony before it gained its independence through the nonviolent protest of Gandhi and his followers. The English influence is exemplified by the fabulous high tea at the old and majestic Imperial Hotel. (And as an aside note, while I don’t care for the purportedly Indian food served at restaurants in America, the real stuff I ate in Delhi and Agra was delicious. Who are these people opening so-called “Indian” restaurants in the States?)


Casey, the quintessential Philistine, feigns appreciation for afternoon tea
at the Imperial Hotel (much as he pretends to like all the musicals I make him see)

            And this provides a nice segue into hotels. We stayed at The Leela Palace, which is, without question, one of the nicest hotels I have ever visited. The décor was magnificent in both the common areas and the individual rooms. Old world meets new world opulence. Consider by way of example only, the bathtub. A tub so deep that even I could fully fit within it. A remote-controlled TV embedded in the mirror above the tub. And a portable showerhead next to the faucet. The food, other than that presented by the unfortunate offspring of Le Cirque (see earlier blog entry) was fantastic. I could have grazed at the bread and pastry table of the breakfast buffet all day. I do admit that it can be a little off putting to have a dozen people stationed at spots three feet away from each other bow and wish you a good day as you walk from the entrance to the elevator multiple times a day. But I could get used to it.




The servers allow Travis to put the finishing touches on his inaptly
named tiramisu at Le Cirque, the only disappointment of The Leela Palace.



The two years of this trip have featured many places I am truly glad I saw. This is one of those places I hope to see again.

No comments:

Post a Comment