Saturday, May 3, 2014

“AW-LEE-VA, THIS IS HOW WE DID THINGS IN THE OLD COUNTRY”



Nighttime views of in Budapest


What can I say? I’m a Philistine. Beyond these trips each year, my exposure to the world is limited to what I see in movies and on TV. And my only recollection of Budapest was hearing Lisa Douglas refer to it repeatedly as “The Old Country” on “Green Acres,” a sitcom decades old. Not coincidentally, the actress portraying Lisa, Eva Gabor was from Budapest, as were her sisters, including the famous (and infamous) Zsa Zsa. Frankly, I envisioned the city as being ancient. And I was right. It is rife with old castles, beautiful cathedrals – buildings constructed in a way over we marvel today but wouldn’t dare try to replicate. Budapest is truly a spectacle.





And during the day

No comments:

Post a Comment