Sunday, April 14, 2013

CASEY AND ERIK VERSUS THE WORLD!




            I love America. But that doesn't mean I have to hate the rest of the world.

            Patriotism can be a positive force, particularly when it motivates people to excel. We all benefit when people perform tasks to the best of their abilities, regardless of motivation. And it's easy to be patriotic when you live in the nation with a Bill of Rights that guarantees the fundamental liberties of the people against the will of a despot or even the majority. Moreover, the prospect of achieving the American dream gives people hope and pride. But patriotism can be ugly, particularly when it morphs into nationalism. I cringe when I hear certain compatriots say the U.S. is far better than any other nation on earth. Just a cursory look at the individuals uttering such words suggests they've never been outside the U.S. a day in their lives (unless it was to cross into Mexico to buy turquoise or Canada to score some meds). I wonder how anyone can make judgment calls about the quality of life, work or government in countries to which they have never been. Then I remember that I have rarely ventured beyond U.S. borders. That is about to change.

            As part of the http://www.globalscavengerhunt.com/ is more countries than either of us have visited, even counting places contiguous to the U.S. I'm 51 years old and it's time I learned how the rest of the world lives, thinks and feels. I hope I find the differences are great in superficial ways but not in substance. I suspect the conclusions won't be so simple. In any event, you can't understand those you do not know. And you can't legitimately criticize what do not understand. On a less cynical level, there are new relationships to be forged all over this globe and we're ready to learn to say "friend" in as many languages as we can.

            This will be easy for Casey; difficult for me. Casey can approach a perfect stranger in any social situation and converse as though they have known each other for years. I have difficulty remember people's names the first six months I know them. I'm the one who hopes the person next to me on the plane can see that I have work to do and doesn't try to strike up a conversation. As we perform the "scavenges" that earn points on this adventure, I will rely heavily on Casey's willingness to say anything to anyone and Casey will rely on me to keep him from a punch in the nose or night in a holding cell.

            Fortunately, I know some of the people on this trip already, including Zoe Littlepage and Rainey Booth, who will have http://zoeandraineygreatescape.blogspot.com/.  I'm counting on them to introduce me to others. My greatest hope is to leave this trip being more comfortable with others, both those standing before me and those I will never meet.

2 comments:

  1. how many different time zones have you experienced so far?

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I know is that we're always tired. :-)

    ReplyDelete